West Coast Environmental Law is pleased to host the second in our Dialogues for Legal Innovation series: Law Reform for Nature, Climate, and Communities. The event will take place at the Morris J. Wosk Centre for Dialogue on February 16th, 2011 at 6:30 p.m. Our diverse panel of guests will explore how BC’s laws and policies about land use should evolve in light of climate change. The evening will include short presentations introducing scientific, legal, and economic perspectives, and a question and answer period for audience members. Admission is free, but RSVP is required.
- Click here to register for Dialogues for Legal Innovation: Law Reform for Nature, Climate, and Communities
- Click here for more information about the event, including the list of dialogue participants.
Metro Vancouver is asking its member municipalities to sign on to its new “Shaping Our Future” Regional Growth Strategy. But the Strategy – by identifying agricultural lands for future development – is on thin ice legally.
- For an analysis of the legal problems in the Regional Growth Strategy, click here.
Our EDRF is funding some important environmental battles right now - such as a legal challenge to Health Canada’s refusal to review new scientific information about the pesticide Round-Up, to the Burns Bog Conservation Society’s legal challenge of the South Perimeter Road, the efforts of the West Moberly First Nations to defend a threatened caribou herd against an appeal by the BC Government.
- Click here to read about the EDRF’s most recent January grants.
- Click here to read about some of the highlights of our grants made over the past few months.
On February 3rd West Coast will announce the winner of this year’s Andrew Thompson Award at the Renewing Environmental Law Conference. Our short-list of nominees is out, and it’s a close race between two of BC’s most prominent environmental lawyers.
- Click here to view the short-list for the Andrew Thompson Award.
Calling all law students! We've posted for 2011 summer law student internships. It's a summer of fun (and supercool legal work) for you AND us! Applications are due Feb 25.
- Click here to go to the internship application page.
- Click here to read a first-hand account of what it is like to be a West Coast Environmental Law summer legal intern.