The recent federal leadership debate had about 2 minutes of discussion about the environment, which occurred as an exchange between NDP Leader Jack Leader and Prime Minister Harper about the Climate Change Accountability Act – a piece of thwarted legislation of such fame that it has its own Wikipedia page.
- Read our latest Environmental Law Alert that looks at the leadership debate that should have been.
Curious about the work that West Coast’s Environmental Dispute Resolution Fund supports in your community? Check out our (new) EDRF Grantee pages for information on the community groups and individuals who have received grants to protect the environment. Find out about their projects and how West Coast is making a difference in your community, and to view maps of the areas affected by our work.
- Click here to view a list of grants from the last three years that West Coast has provided to British Columbians working to protect our environment.
Join us on May 14th at the screening of the documentary If a Tree Falls at the DOXA festival. West Coast lawyer Andrew Gage will lead a discussion on the law’s role in giving, or denying, citizens a say in environmental decision-making.
- Click here for more information about If a Tree Falls and to buy tickets.
- We’re offering a chance to win 2 tickets to the film. Enter by posting the title of your favourite environmental film on our Facebook page by May 1st!
Although we're still waiting for details, West Coast is excited about a promise made by Premier Clark and Health Minister Mike De Jong that the BC government will investigate the health impacts of the oil and gas industry in North East BC. The Ministry of Health had previously rejected a request from the lawyer for the Peace Environmental Safety Trustees (hired with funding from West Coast) for such an investigation.
- Click here to read about what this investigation could mean for British Columbians.
Note: survey closes as of midnight May 1st.
West Coast has created a brief survey to help us evaluate the effectiveness of our electronic newsletter, Legal e-Brief, and to better understand who is reading it (or not!). If you complete the survey you will be entered into a draw to receive a $250 Mountain Equipment Co-op gift certificate. Please note that only email addresses that are on our Legal e-Brief distribution list for this issue are eligible for the draw. Thank you - we appreciate your feedback!
- Click here to complete our brief, anonymous survey.